Hahah, so I've had a pretty good past few days. I've noticed there are spurts of intelligence in me. Some days I feel stupid, some days I feel I can survive. It's all good. I still surprise myself when I talk to strangers and actually need to speak the language.
Yesterday was a not-too-bad day. Just going a long the road to becoming an adult, you know, the usual. You'd think I'd have a lot of time to myself, but I've never felt busier. I hardly ever have time to myself. I guess it's good to keep my mind off of home. I spend a lot of time doing homework, talking with peeps back home, emailing, blogging, learning/talking with my host fam, fretting about food, planning trips, managing my bank account, battling insomnia, etc.
I had my first churros con chocolate yesterday. I wanted to check how good they are for when Glen comes. Thankfully, the churreria is literally 30 seconds from Hotel Cisneros, where Glen will be staying in November. And yes, I approve, Glen. No worries, I got you. However, I did feel guilty afterwards. Perhaps it's a one-time treat! Lol. I'm told to try porras, a pastry similar to churros. My warning: watch your tongue! I burnt mine, but of course, it was worth it. ¡Vale la pena!
We had a two-hour meeting at Willem's house basically just to learn what we already knew. But we got free Spanish ice cream and cookies! They're specialty is turrón. It's almond ice cream! Naturally, it was the strangest, and naturally, it was my favorite. I also created the "Clarita" which is my own, signature margarita. Don't worry, it's virgin. Lemon Fanta and pineapple (piña) juice with just two ice cubes. So great when you need a quencher.
Last night, I met David, my madre's son-in-law, who just returned from Peru. I pat myself on the back for carrying a conversation with him about South America and how my cousin, Erika, is studying there now and plans to visit Machu Picchu soon. He says the pictures do no justice. I say it's on my bucket list. Moral of our convo: life is too short (la vida es demasiado corta)!
This morning, I woke up early to run in the rain to the train station to buy train tix to Bilbao for tomorrow!! It was a success! Although, the streets are even grosser when wet. My poor shoes. Anywhooo, we leave tomorrow at 08:05! I'm packed and ready for an adventure. We're staying at a Best Western (of all places) just across from the magnificent Guggenheim!! Can't wait. We don't really have many plans yet, but I hope to either see Guernica or the coast of San Sebastian. We could even go to France for a mere 2-hour train ride! I'm excited to see if I can actually handle all the responsibility ahead. Wish me luck!
But as for today, we had two long classes in between being frantic about our travels. I bought my final Prague tix! We're going! I hear it's going to be cold, but I don't care! When has the chill stopped me from enjoying myself?! Elena, my madre, laughed when I told her Dad calls me "snowbunny". It was hard to explain, but she got the gist. She's surprised I like snow so much. They only get about 2 inches here each year. Even so, the city shuts down. Silly España. I tell her I want to ski in the Swiss Alps one day, although I hear the trails aren't marked and you have to pray you make it down, safely into civilization. :) I'm up for it! Who's with me?!
The whole group is gone this weekend. Most are in Barcelona, four in Valencia, and Mackenzie, Kyle, and I in Bilbao. It's apparently the first time the WHOLE But group is gone from Madrid at the same time, says Willem. I tell her I'll take pix and educate her when we return. She's never been in all the decades she's traveled to Spain. I know it'll be amazing!
I hope we eat soon. I need to sleep if I'm waking up at 5.
Since I won't have my computer this weekend, I may be hard to reach, but please comment below and email me! I love to hear your adventures too! For now, until then! Hahah, I made that up. Are you surprised it doesn't make sense? I'm not either.
This is Clara, signing off. Over and out. Paz and love.
Great blog Claire. We can't wait for the churros and chocolate! We're super busy here--with school and work. I look forward to seeing your pix from Bilbao--that part of Spain is on my bucket list! Love ya, MOM
ReplyDelete