¡Estamos en España!
Last night was La Noche en Blanco (White Night)! This happens in several countries around the world. I believe Paris was the first. Madrid adopted this tradition in 2006. It's when the whole city stays awake all night, offering free tours, food, fun, etc. It was spectacular!
We left for Madrid at 5:30 and meandered around Puerta del Sol a while, until the sun set. It was steaming hot. Rodilla was our fast-food joint of choice. I wouldn't mind not going there again. :) Some of us planned the night, some of us played cards, some of us went shopping. Once we had a pretty solid plan, we took off towards La Gran Via street. There were so many people. I really enjoyed the happy atmosphere.
We first arrived at a small plaza where they projected an ancient game of Super Mario Brothers onto a beautiful building. It was fun, but we wanted more. We then took off towards the music. There we stumbled upon a huge crowd that was simply tossing hundreds of beach balls back and forth. It was amazing, I have no words! People cheering and singing, dancing, punting, throwing. SO MUCH FUN!
Once we'd had a lil too much of balls, we stopped at a cute pizzeria for some 'za. I didn't realize how much I'd missed it. We then all peed in the grossest bathroom ever and jetted towards some African Techno. There we found this awesome band playing in the Palacio Longoria. At the time, I didn't know we were in the building I have to research for our fall project. Don't worry, I kicked myself later. This band was awesome! Everyone was dancing and fist pumping. I was so up close, I thought the bass would toss up my skirt! Hahah, luckily it didn't.
Soon after, we treaded towards a giant Twister game! On the way, we saw a beautiful ballet being performed on the steps of a beautiful, historical building. Then, on to Twister - epic! There were about 40 people squatting, falling, squirming in others' faces. I'm glad I wasn't in there. As if just playing Twister wasn't hard enough, the announcer had them all dance in weird positions and sing "La Cucaracha"!
It was then, we all decided we were a little too tired to do anything else. We literally ran to the Metro station, successfully figured out how to work the system, arrived at Avenidas de Américas, caught the bus to Alcalá, and walked to the Plaza Cervantes. Some of us wanted a sweet treat, some of us wanted our warm pillows. Guess which one I chose? Of course, the pillow!
After only getting 11 hours over the past two days, I desperately need some zzzzzs. I got home, uploaded pix (to everyone's surprise and delight), and hit the hay. Of course, I was rudely awakened only 7 hours later by the _______ baby. Fortunately, she left for a while and I slept until 1 pm! This is clearly the Spanish Claire. I've noticed she's much more spontaneous, carefree, fiesta-crazy, and more of a late sleeper. However, I still feel like I've wasted 1/2 a day, but I'll get over it. Let me say it again--this is Spanish Claire. LOVE IT!
So I'm awake now, about to start on homework and patiently awaiting lunch. I'll check back in with y'all later!
This is Claire, signing off. Over and out. Paz and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment